:: Home :: FAQ :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::
Linux
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
}TCP{aLICe
...playing too much

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 1:17 am    Post subject: Linux Reply with quote

Is anyone playing ut2k4 under Linux?
How it works?
Some tips for installing / tuning for ATI? (Gfx 6550D) I think I will buy AMD APU A8-3870 with such embedded gfx and imagine if it is enough to play ut2k4.
Nosh
}TCP{Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I'm sorry 4 this "nonsense" post, but I am kind of looking 4 the same help Smile
I dont know if u heard about "wine", an app that allows u executing .exe but i dont think it's made 4 fast programs (fast programs like ut, not like word.exe or stuff like that)
Well, I got 2 look around a little more and if I'll find something I'm gonna post it right away m8 Wink

good luck (and plz pm me or post it here if u've got something) Wink

btw, I just had an idea I'd really like 2 push here.
is there any topic about linux in general?
I would be really happy to open a new topic about linux itself in here 2 discuss some stuff. just some basics, little hints, maybe some cool software and if needed some more complicated stuff Wink

coco, as far as i remember u know something about it.
still running linux?

so guys, let me know if there is any interest.... if not.... www.google.com Wink

c u around Wink

}TCP{Ramses
}TCP{Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try this topic Wink http://www.tcpclan.net/phpforum/viewtopic.php?t=3533&highlight=linux

Or use the forum search to find anything posted earlier (it's in the top line below The Clan Punishers banner).

I remember The Kay was our Linux bod ... he loved all things to do with open software, I think it was his life mission to spread it ... good on him Smile
}TCP{Coco
}TCP{Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I've never tried it, but I know there's a Linux version of UT2004 which comes with the game already. Shouldn't be too complicated to install it tbh. I would advice using a recent version of Ubuntu, because you won't have to bother with the 3D drivers there. It usually lets you install the correct drivers with one click from the start menu. After this, simply use the Linux install script, which should be on your UT2004 CD (otherwise search the internet for instructions). I know pretty much of the settings and custom stuff (like maps, mods, etc.) are installed into your homedir under Linux. At least this was the case when I developed my UT2004CacheExtractor, which also can be used with Linux.
Nosh
}TCP{Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@ rams - ty rams, i've seen it, but because this post was called linux I thought it might find this1 but it seems that this is not the case Razz

@coco - I checked the content of my original UT DVD and it seems, that after a while they changed the files to .cab. no more .sh files left Sad Not really a known and often seen ending of a file 4 me, but I think I read something about it somewhere. Something about extracting the .cab files and stuff like that but the most of the post about installing this game were about 10 pages and a lot of different errors, so after I while a gave up, rebooted into windows and played some ut Razz

I didnt try your CacheExtractor on Ubuntu untill now, but if there is java installed, I dont see any reason why it should not work Wink

@everbody - well, what I meant with a linux post is just giving some tips, tricks and stuff like how to login as root in terminal, some really basic stuff and if needed, some more experienced.
I just thought 4 beginners, it would be easier to read it hear, instead of searching something in the internet you dont know how its called Razz and I still like chatting with u guys, not just fragging u Razz soooo.... "sudo -i" for root access in terminal Smile (followed by userpassword)

well, I dont know, should somebody close this post or leave both opened? U guys will figger it out Razz

}TCP{Coco
}TCP{Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, maybe I'll take a look at it when I'm home at the weekend. However, my problem is that for some strange reason I got some mouse problem under Linux with my current PC. I've tried different distributions already, but nothing changed. Had no problems with all my previous PCs though...
}TCP{aLICe
...playing too much

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sorry for my absence on forum.

I have bought new mainboard/cpu/memory/ssd and replaced old components Smile I have done this over a month ago. Of course no M$ system Wink

Finally I did my ut2k4 working under Linux. I play it every weekend nights over a month. It is stable.

My system is Debian Linux, amd64 architecture. Ubuntu is some kind of Debian, let say, with all new stuff. Debian is very stable distro, but always lacks of new features.

How I did it working:
UT2K4 installation failed, whatever I did, no success :/ My DVD (Unreal Anthology) doesn't contain Linux installation files (sic!) and wine sucks. So the only hope left was to copy files from my M$ Windowz XP game installation directory. Easy but not enough. Lets do it right way. I downloaded and installed ATI proprietary drivers (what to do :/) to have full HW acceleration. I have AMD APU so ATI gfx in CPU. Easy. Now sound. Installed libsdl1.2debian-all, libopenal1 and purged libsdl1.2debian-alsa packages. But my new soundcard (build on mainboard) didn't work properly, so I downloaded sources from manufacturer website, compiled and installed. Some configurations in KDE (audio output, etc.) and sound problems gone. That was a time to copy ut2k4 files, whole Unreal directory, from Windowz. Easy and done but no binary to run ut2k4 :/ Simple idea was to find a Linux patch Smile So I found and installed Unreal Tournament 2004 Patch v3369 Linux version (ut2004-lnxpatch3369.tar.bz2). Voila! there is ut2004-bin file in ut2k4 system directory Smile But game didn't start successfully. There were three things to do left. I installed libstdc++5 package. In the system ut2k4 directory I made symbolic link to /usr/lib/libSDL-1.2.so.0 and copied /usr/lib/libopenal.so.1.12.854 to openal.so. In the same system ut2k4 directory created a new file named CDkey and put in this file my game key. Done... almost ;p There were some changes needed in user.ini / ut2k4.ini (keybindings, etc.). Truly done! Run ./ut2004-bin and fight!

If you need detailed instructions, you stuck in some place, go ahead and PM me. I will publish here.

Finally, if Linux section is needed I could provide help answering questions. I'm familiar with linux very well.
NmS
}TCP{Member

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And people still think windows sucks? Man, the amount of geekyness and trouble you needed to perform in order to make a game playable on linux. I'll just stay with my Win7 Wink
}TCP{aLICe
...playing too much

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heh... I can do with my Linux things you never imagine ;p

And yes, it is a fun to run ut2k4 without M$ system, because the only cause I needed Windowz was to play Unreal. Now I'm free Very Happy
menace
WooT !!

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

}TCP{aLICe wrote:

i wonder what that would be Razz
xiorama
}TCP{Member

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, nothing more windows can do anyway :p apart from sell it since its free ^^
}TCP{Member

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good job, Alice. Still didn't try it myself... Razz
Pitbull
}TCP{Lunatic

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

}TCP{aLICe wrote:

And yes, it is a fun to run ut2k4 without M$ system, because the only cause I needed Windowz was to play Unreal. Now I'm free Very Happy

If you decide to play the Original Unreal Alice, the new 227 patch will work fine with linux.

http://oldunreal.com/oldunrealpatches.html

99% Complete.

It was only a difference of opinion, but really...I mean good manners
Dont cost nothing do they, eh?

pÍtßűll
Seek The Way, Find The Way, Follow The Way
Green River
Old Unreal
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Pitbull
}TCP{Lunatic

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Opensuse isn't bad either btw.

http://www.opensuse.org/en/

99% Complete.

It was only a difference of opinion, but really...I mean good manners
Dont cost nothing do they, eh?

pÍtßűll
Seek The Way, Find The Way, Follow The Way
Green River
Old Unreal
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
menace
WooT !!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well i am trying to find Linux installer for ut2004 but seems nowhere to find -.- running ubuntu 12.04 and need some help with it i never used linux before but now about a week i am using i like it :> So anyone can help me with this ? and can i just copy paste user and ut2004 file? I mean with binds ect. or i do have to do all over again?

thnx
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.tcpclan.net Forum Index -> -= General =- All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: