:: Home :: FAQ :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::
Forum loading times
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.tcpclan.net Forum Index -> -= The Site =-
View previous topic :: View next topic  
}TCP{Coco
}TCP{Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 5:04 pm    Post subject: Forum loading times Reply with quote

Hi!

In the last time, I noticed that the loading times of posts in this forum are horrible long mostly. The server itself is fast enough and doesn't cause any problems. The long waiting times arise from externally connected resources.

1. Signatures containing animations with 1-2 MB size that reside at imageshack.us, as used by Sentic and Ghost (Ghost seems to have removed his one - thanks!).

2. ICQ status queries directed at status.icq.com

Unfortunately, both servers, imageshack.us and status.icq.com, are terribly slow and/or have long reply times. So what usually happens is that I click at the symbol that brings me to the new entries of a thread, the thread loads and hangs at the top of the page, because all external connections must complete before the page jumps to the location where the new entries start.

Although I have a fast internet connection that should even load 2 MB animations in less than a second, I must wait about 1 minute most of the time, until the page jumps to the new entries location. This is truely annoying, because it happens all the time.

So what can we do against it?

First of all, I want to ask Sentic to remove the animation from his signature or at least move it to a faster server. Ghost was reasonable enough to do it himself, as it seems (correct me, if I'm wrong Smile).

The second problem, the ICQ status, is a little harder to solve. The reason why the forum connects to status.icq.com seems to be that there are these ICQ buttons below each user's posts who have an ICQ number configured in the profile. When loading a page, the JavaScript functions of the forum seem to check the current ICQ online status of all users with an ICQ number that have posted on that page. I think, the purpose is to load alternative picture elements as ICQ buttons that shall display the user's current online state.

The question is: Can we do anything against this? Loading times of 50-60 seconds per page are intolerable in my view. I get rilled from this each time when I read the posts here. I already thought about blocking status.icq.com, port 80, in my firewall. But there may be useful services that access this site from other pages and I wouldn't be able to use them anymore.

Coco.
}TCP{Carnage
-=HeAdShOt=-

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The signatures problem can be fixed quite simpel .. just upload it to the forum

As for the ICQ status I could see if i could deactivate it in the forum but that would be a shame
I personaly don't realy have any problems with the loading times .. be it either waiting on the icq status or the signatures .. the forum shows up fast enough.

Unreal 1 - 32 slot 227h- }TCP{ Funhouse #6 [MonsterMash !!]-:: Go There ::-
Unreal 1 - 8 slot 227f - }TCP{ Funhouse #7 [TeamArenaMaster !!] -:: Go There ::-
UT2004 - 12 slot }TCP{ Funhouse #1 [TAM / Freezetag] !! -:: Go There ::-
UT2004 - 32 slot }TCP{ Funhouse #2 [Freon Madness] !! -:: Go There ::-
UT2004 - 2/4 slot }TCP{ Funhouse #3 [1vs1 or 2 vs 2] !! -:: Go There ::-
UT2004 - 12 slot }TCP{ Funhouse #4 [ONS/TAM/AM/Moso 12p] !! -:: Go There ::-
UT2004 - 8 slot }TCP{FunHouse #5 [TAM/1on1-DM] !! -:: Go There ::-

Open Source Beer
The }TCP{ Website
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
the_kay
}TCP{Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My opinion: Turn off ICQ buttons. There is no real use for them (if you want to contact someone you can start your client and look for yourself). The ICQ-ID is also on our homepage if anyone needs them...

For annoying images:
If you are using firefox I recommend Adblock Plus (you can use this filter in combination if you don't want to see ads on the internet, too). Just click on the unwanted image select "Adblock image..." and press Enter. You'll never see this image again Smile
}TCP{Coco
}TCP{Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi!

@Carnage: Well, sometimes the ICQ thing works good, just like at the moment. But at other times, it really takes time. Uploading the signatures to the forum is a good idea. Maybe, you should do this, Sentic.

@the_kay: Good idea. Smile I'm using Adblock Plus in Firefox. Unfortunately, Opera is my main browser, so I must see if I can find something similar there. Thanks.

Coco.
}TCP{Cee
-=Anime Maniac=-

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And use Noscript for Firefox if the button delay bothers you Razz
}TCP{Wolf
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Err I use Opera and do not experience any of these loading problems except when JavaScript is on. Since it is just 2 clicks to turn on and off just turn it off...
Hyper
úber Spammer

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you need a client-sided solution:

Use the Firefox browser with the GreaseMonkey extension and the phpBB Signature Image Hider script to remove the signatures.
You can use the AdBlock extension to block the icq status images.

Of course, I would prefer a server sided solution. There may be a phpbb hack to only allow text based signatures.

http://www.hypercoop.tk
unreal://hypercoop.tk
}TCP{Coco
}TCP{Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Wolf!

}TCP{Wolf wrote:
Err I use Opera and do not experience any of these loading problems except when JavaScript is on. Since it is just 2 clicks to turn on and off just turn it off...

Yes, that's true. I usually just press F12 and V in succession to turn JavaScript on and off. But I made an entry in the server list to allow special features for this forum, like cookies and JavaScript. The latter was done because of the chat- and PM popup window functions. I could, of course, turn off JavaScript for the forum, but I would lose some features then.

Well, currently, the ICQ server doesn't seem to cause any problems. But the next time (which will be soon for sure), I will have to consider turning JS off.

@Hyper: Blocking the ICQ status images isn't really that easy, at least, if you have JavaScript allowed. If you take a look at the forum HTML sourcecode, you'll find that these images are loaded with JavaScript as well. I just had a quick peek at it but didn't really understand what they do there. All I can say is that it doesn't seem to be that simple.

Coco.
the_kay
}TCP{Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

}TCP{Cee wrote:
And use Noscript for Firefox if the button delay bothers you Razz

I have that too but allowed tcpclan.net
And ICQ doesn't seem to run their own scripts....
}TCP{seNtic
}TCP{Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not having any problems at all, never had either. Razz
WooT !!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me neither
}TCP{Coco
}TCP{Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi!

Well, here's what I'm talking about. It's a screenshot of a part of the sourcecode from this thread. Unfortunately, it's impossible to post it as a text here, even if I include it into a Code section.

Coco.
the_kay
}TCP{Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, now I understand.

The script is not run by icq.com but by tcpclan.net
When I forbid scripts for tcpclan.net this ICQ thing is not displayed. But I can't use Quick Reply either Sad
It would be best to disable this ICQ "feature", imho.

Who uses this anyway?
}TCP{Coco
}TCP{Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi!

Well, at the moment, I do the following: I have JavaScript enabled for the forum. If I encounter any delays caused by the ICQ status queries, I simply temporarily disable JS for this session. Smile

Coco.
}TCP{Marcin.B.BlackT32
WooT !!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I don't have any big loading times. Its strange, coz you propably have much better net than me.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.tcpclan.net Forum Index -> -= The Site =- All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: