:: Home :: FAQ :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::
UT2004CacheExtractor is ready!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
}TCP{Skarijscout
}TCP{Lunatic

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...i think 'Silkroad' is a pretty one too! Smile

Yours Skarijscout

}TCP{Skarijscout
}TCP{Lunatic

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="}TCP{the_kay
@Skarijscout:
...In the server field free operating systems such as GNU/Linux are already leading. [/quote]

Sorry kay, but this isn't true!
Free OS, or Linux based Server-Systems take till 27 Percent of all Serversystems. A few Percent are using proprietary 'SCO-Unix'.
It's a pity, but it's true. Best Server OS for a long time, Novell-Netware, has failed miserably. However, nearly 85 Percent of all Novell-Netwareserver Users have swiched to Windows-Server. In the meanwhile Microsoft rules the Server market. They did it in only 6 Years. Surprised

By the way - nearly ALL Enterprises, which are using GNU/Linux have signed expensive Support-Contracts with Server-manufactures which grants for Support and Liability - for the case of the case. Wink

No Company, or Enterprise would DOWNLOAD a GNU/Linux Distribution, install it on the servers and use it as a professional platform for their Business. They must be totaly nuts if they do so! Cause... i have written upon.

I would refuse as an administrator to take ANY responsibility for such a system! Not because GN/Linux isn't good Exclamation But because I get no professional support if problems occures. You want to have Professional Support too? Then you MUST BUY a Linux-Distribution like Suse.
Of course you buy the source code with, but change a byte and your support is history.

Perhaps sometime you have to manage a complex Network too. Then you will understand my words and feel the difference between 'Free Software' & 'Proprietary / Commercial Software' Wink

You get my honest respect about your knowings in GNU/Linux, but you MUST also see the other ones and the reason WHY they have so much success.

Yours Skarijscout

Last edited by }TCP{Skarijscout on Tue Jan 09, 2007 3:51 am; edited 2 times in total
the_kay
}TCP{Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just because they have success that doesn't mean that is good. And if only 27% of all servers run GNU/Linux that shows us that people running this system are not "totaly nuts".

Professional Support for free software is even better than for proprietary software because you can pick the programmers you want! If you want a new feature implemented you can search for programmers you want. If you want a new feature in a proprietary program you only have one company who has the source code. You have to go them and beg: "please please implement this feature!" And they perhaps say "Thanks for your trouble-report, in 6 months there will be an upgrade and then you'll see if we implemented your feature and what problems we added with it, too".

Quote:
No Company, or Enterprise would DOWNLOAD a GNU/Linux Distribution, install it on the servers and use it as a professional platform for their Business.

That has a more simple answer: This is a lie.
}TCP{Wolf
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

}TCP{the_kay wrote:
Professional Support for free software is even better than for proprietary software because you can pick the programmers you want! If you want a new feature implemented you can search for programmers you want. If you want a new feature in a proprietary program you only have one company who has the source code. You have to go them and beg: "please please implement this feature!" And they perhaps say "Thanks for your trouble-report, in 6 months there will be an upgrade and then you'll see if we implemented your feature and what problems we added with it, too".

THat's correct but you can't sue them because of the "AS IS DISCLAIMER".

Quote:
No Company, or Enterprise would DOWNLOAD a GNU/Linux Distribution, install it on the servers and use it as a professional platform for their Business.

That has a more simple answer: This is a lie.[/quote]

Probably not a lie, just business reasoning. Every university I have been to uses some UN*X as server system and mostly Windoze as clients, though in some areas nowadays Linux guis or Sun workstations rule supreme. Similar picture in the smaller shops I have worked in, Linux servers and NT/2k workstations. Smaller shops may be a little more open to open source solutions for a few less important areas (simply because they can't/don't want to afford everything) but even there everything that's critical they got somebody they can drag before court if something goes bang.

My government branch has its productive system on something I don't even understand or could pronounce properly, some ultra large cluster of non-Windows machines which all cost zillions of bucks, but most certainly they are NOT using any OS which comes free. Something goes bang, somebody else pays... Heck we'd be using Tomcat/JBoss/SunOne instead of the totally overpriced and pretty much propriatary (in some aspects) IBM Websphere... but that's just not how it works...

Vista
}TCP{ Fan

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow u made that?, thats cool, i have the ut99 cache cleaner, does it work for ut2k4?
}TCP{Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Vista!

Vista wrote:
wow u made that?

Yes, I did. Smile And I'm still working on it, although quite slow at the moment. I'm currently implementing a real dependency check for all downloaded files, so the user can easily select what he wants without caring about other stuff in the cache. I'm planning to release the final 1.0 before the arrival of UT3, but I'm not sure if I will make it. Wink

Vista wrote:
thats cool, i have the ut99 cache cleaner, does it work for ut2k4?

Hmm, sorry, I don't know this program. But I know that the cache works a little different between UT and UT2004, so if the program supports selective file removal (instead of simply deleting everything in the cache), it won't work for UT2004 unless special support for that game is implemented (you should see the docs for this).

Anyway, in case you want selective file removal for UT2004, you can use my UT2004CacheExtractor as well. It has a special mode of operation for this.
Just check out the screenshots on my homepage.

Coco.
Vista
}TCP{ Fan

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh darnit well ill be sure to download it bcuz i love converting maps from other games....

i converted Barricade+ from ut99 to u1 but then i found out {KDS}Pitbull had already converted it :-/ same with Peak+

}TCP{Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also, have finally downloaded and installed it. It took me awhile to figure it out (the install part) but it works like a charm. Good job man.

Fresh Prince: Will Smith
PingKing
}TCP{Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wot kinda code did you use to make it because if its C then i love you because you can help with my gay computing assignments lol. I cant code to save my life Razz i have to make a program that first asks you to inout a number then it will put it and check if its a number then you have to loop it 4 times and then make a average of the 5 numbers woot x_x
}TCP{Coco
}TCP{Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi!

}TCP{DAFrank wrote:
I also, have finally downloaded and installed it. It took me awhile to figure it out (the install part) but it works like a charm. Good job man.

Thanks, Frank. I'm glad you took the time to get it running. I know it's not that easy with the Java part (although I described it very detailed and easy to understand in the documentation, which is also on the homepage).

I'm currently thinking about compiling the bytecode in the next version. This way, there will have to be different versions for the different OSes (right now it's the same file, just assembled with the SWT libraries for different OSses), but you would have an .exe file, which is more easy to start. Anyway, I'll have to do some testing first.

}TCP{PingKing wrote:
wot kinda code did you use to make it because if its C then i love you because you can help with my gay computing assignments lol. I cant code to save my life i have to make a program that first asks you to inout a number then it will put it and check if its a number then you have to loop it 4 times and then make a average of the 5 numbers woot x_x

No, it's written in Java, which I chose because of its ability to run under Windows, Linux and MacOS.

Well, to be honest, your C program is a 5 minute work. Smile But if you're not able to do it yet, I'd be a bad idea if I did it for you. You can just learn how to code by reading the language and class/method definitions and especially by doing it yourself.

Anyway, in case you don't mind and really can't get it done, just ask again and I'll give you the code. Wink

Coco.
PingKing
}TCP{Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cool cool is C++ hard or is it quite easy as well?
}TCP{Coco
}TCP{Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi!

C++ is more challenging than C, because it's an object-oriented language (C or better ANSI C isn't). Object handling isn't easy to understand for many beginners. But once you got it, you can do extremely powerful things with it. My advice would be to learn C first and to advance to C++ if you know the basics of C. This way, you wouldn't have to learn it all at once.

By the way, Java is quite similar to C++ (it's also object-oriented). The main difference is that compiled Java code produces so called bytecode, which has to be interpreted by the so called Java Runtime Environment (JRE) at runtime. That's the reason, why Java needs to be installed to run a Java application. The benefit of this is that the bytecode program is independant from the used operating system. There are JRE implementations for Windows, Linux, MacOS and many more and they all can run the identical bytecode program, even on different CPUs.

C and C++ on the other hand are directly translated into machine code when being compiled. This means that the resulting instructions are interpreted by the CPU rather than by some instance inbetween. This makes C and C++ applications really fast, but binds them to the CPU and OS for which they were made. Therefore, you don't need an environment to run them. Just download and execute. Smile

By the way, did you ever wonder why C++ is called C++? In C (and some other languages as well), the ++ suffix increases the value stored in a variable by 1 after the statement is executed. For example:
Code:
c = c+1;

can be replaced by
Code:
c++;

Or
Code:
d = c;
c = c+1;

can be replaced by
Code:
d = c++;

The creators of the language C++ wanted their language to be the successor to C, so to say C+1, so according to the C notation, they called it C++. Smile

Coco.

P.S.: In case you don't have any books for C, this might be a good starting point!
PingKing
}TCP{Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually knew that lol Razz becuase we had to use it in a lesson and our teacher told us about c=c++ but i didnt know C++ name came from it Very Happy so thank you
}TCP{Coco
}TCP{Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi PingKing!

}TCP{PingKing wrote:
you can help with my gay computing assignments lol. I cant code to save my life Razz i have to make a program that first asks you to inout a number then it will put it and check if its a number then you have to loop it 4 times and then make a average of the 5 numbers woot x_x

Did you do it meanwhile? If not, I'll write it down for you...

Coco.
[COCO] Transpulsar
}TCP{Stalker

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW, thats realy cool! Thx Coco!

I have there a little question: why did I have to load some maps again and again?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.tcpclan.net Forum Index -> -= General =- All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: