:: Home :: FAQ :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::
UT2004CacheExtractor is ready!
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
}TCP{Coco
}TCP{Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 5:17 am    Post subject: UT2004CacheExtractor is ready! Reply with quote

Hi!

I talked to Carnage a few weeks ago and told him about my current coding project: UT2004CacheExtractor, a tool for map extraction from the Cache directory. He said, when it's ready, I should write it into the forum. Well, that's what I do now! Smile

If you like, take a look at the (yet very simple) homepage:
http://ut2k4ce.somenet.de/

I think, in comparison with some other cache extractors, this one has a couple of nice features.

I will add some screenshots to the homepage tomorrow as well.

With kind permission of Carnage, I added a recommendation for the TCP gameserver in the documentation that is contained in the download archive. Since yours is definitely my favourite server, I simply wanted to do this. Smile

Greetings to all TCP members, especially those who played with me already. It's always a pleasure...

Signed, Coco.

Last edited by }TCP{Coco on Sat Dec 27, 2014 7:36 pm; edited 3 times in total
}TCP{Carnage
-=HeAdShOt=-

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice job m8 Smile

If u like i can add your site to our links page on the website and i can also mirror the files if u like Smile

Cheers
Car..

Unreal 1 - 32 slot 227h- }TCP{ Funhouse #6 [MonsterMash !!]-:: Go There ::-
Unreal 1 - 8 slot 227f - }TCP{ Funhouse #7 [TeamArenaMaster !!] -:: Go There ::-
UT2004 - 12 slot }TCP{ Funhouse #1 [TAM / Freezetag] !! -:: Go There ::-
UT2004 - 32 slot }TCP{ Funhouse #2 [Freon Madness] !! -:: Go There ::-
UT2004 - 2/4 slot }TCP{ Funhouse #3 [1vs1 or 2 vs 2] !! -:: Go There ::-
UT2004 - 12 slot }TCP{ Funhouse #4 [ONS/TAM/AM/Moso 12p] !! -:: Go There ::-
UT2004 - 8 slot }TCP{FunHouse #5 [TAM/1on1-DM] !! -:: Go There ::-

Open Source Beer
The }TCP{ Website
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
the_kay
}TCP{Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, cool tool Smile
Now I will be finally able to extract my favourite maps and play them on Lan partys without searching in the internet for them =)

However, one little thing:
If I want to burn those maps on cd and give them to my friends: At the moment every map lives in its own directory and it is much work to copy each file to the game directory... So I have /myfolder/DM-FranksSinfonia[2k4]/Maps/DM-FranksSinfonia[2k4].ut2
When I extract many many maps it would be useful if all Systems files were in one directory, all Map files in one Map directory and so on... like this:
/myfolder/Maps/DM-FranksSinfonia[2k4].ut2
/myfolder/Sounds/......
that would make copying less painful Smile

I tested this program on Gentoo GNU/Linux.

Oh, I forgot to ask: Is this programm Freeware (does not cost anything) or Free Software (Free as in Freedom)?
}TCP{Coco
}TCP{Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Carnage!

}TCP{Carnage wrote:
Very nice job m8 Smile

If u like i can add your site to our links page on the website and i can also mirror the files if u like Smile

Thanks! I'm really glad that you like it. It was far more work than I would have thought at the beginning.

Yes, it would be great if you could add the website to your links page, thanks! And mirroring would be cool, too, because I currently use the webspace of my internet provider and as far as I know, I have a 5 GB traffic limit per month or so. If this is used up, it would be great if users could download the tool from an alternate location.

Some more words:

1. Sorry for posting in the UT 1 forum. It was a little late last night (around 5 o'clock in the morning). So thank you for moving the post and even make an announcement out of it!

2. I have added some screenshots to my homepage, so users can check out what the program looks like and what it does before downloading it.

3. I have also added the documentation to the webpage, so everyone can check out my personal greetings and the TCP server recommendation online. Smile

Ah, and thanks for your guestbook entry, Carnage. I really appreciate it! You TCP guys are really kind people...

Greetings, Coco.
}TCP{Coco
}TCP{Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi the_kay!

}TCP{the_kay wrote:
Wow, cool tool Smile
Now I will be finally able to extract my favourite maps and play them on Lan partys without searching in the internet for them =)

Great, I'm glad you like it! That's what I use it for, too. You should check the different options, since they add a few more possibilities like setting the Cache Holding Time, fix installation to the game directory while extracting to an external location at the same time, etc.

}TCP{the_kay wrote:
However, one little thing:
If I want to burn those maps on cd and give them to my friends: At the moment every map lives in its own directory and it is much work to copy each file to the game directory... So I have /myfolder/DM-FranksSinfonia[2k4]/Maps/DM-FranksSinfonia[2k4].ut2
When I extract many many maps it would be useful if all Systems files were in one directory, all Map files in one Map directory and so on... like this:
/myfolder/Maps/DM-FranksSinfonia[2k4].ut2
/myfolder/Sounds/......
that would make copying less painful Smile

First of all: It would have been good if you posted this to the guestbook, because it is made for feedback, suggestions, bug reports or troubleshooting in general. I might check the guestbook more often than this forum, but it's still ok for me. I'm happy to have feedback in any form.

Concerning your problem: That's what the "Create archives" option was made for. Simply check "Create archives" and "Remove archived files". As a result, you will get archives with the name of the maps which will contain only the game's subdirs (without the map name). That means, you can install the maps by simply unextracting the archives to the UT 2004 game directory. Archiving is better for burning the maps to CD anyway, because due to the compression, you will be able to put more maps on one disc.

The "Create appropriate subdirs" option without selection of "Create archives" was meant for further processing of the extracted files. For example, if you want to rename maps or change the subdir-structure and then archive the files manually, it helps when the map name is already in the path. This way, you can use it in shell scripts to generate the archive name or something similar.

}TCP{the_kay wrote:
I tested this program on Gentoo GNU/Linux.

Oh, I forgot to ask: Is this programm Freeware (does not cost anything) or Free Software (Free as in Freedom)?

Cool! I had no possibility to test my tool under Linux, because I have Linux installed as an alternative OS, but UT 2004 is not installed under Linux. So I can just read the files from the Windows-Partition with no possibility to install them or delete them after copying or so. So this is important for me to know, thanks!

I released UT2004CacheExtractor as Freeware. I reserved the right to make modifications to myself, but it may be freely copied and used, as long as the documentation is still included. Just see the "Final words" section of the documentation.

Greetings, Coco.
the_kay
}TCP{Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the help Smile
}TCP{Wolf
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice, I'm not a fan of SWT (yet) though but I know why people use it to write java apps.
}TCP{Carnage
-=HeAdShOt=-

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Added them to our own download center

http://www.degroenepulk.nl/tcpclan/dlmod/pafiledb.php?action=category&id=7

Cheers
Car..

Unreal 1 - 8 slot 227f - }TCP{ Funhouse #7 [TeamArenaMaster !!] -:: Go There ::-

Open Source Beer
The }TCP{ Website
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
}TCP{Coco
}TCP{Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi!

@the_kay:
No problem. I hope everything works fine now.

@Wolf:
Why don't you like SWT? Just take a look at the screenshots on my homepage and compare this to the usual Java GUIs like AWT, etc. There's no difference to a real native application any more. And it's the same result under any supported OS.
BTW: Are you Drizzt Do'Urden fan? Wink

@Carnage:
Thanks for putting the program in your download section. When updates are ready, you're one of the first to get informed. Are the download links the same that I shall use as mirror links?

Greetings, Coco.

P.S.: Do you mind, if a advertise my homepage URL a little after a map has ended? I currently do this on any server in the internet when I play.
}TCP{Carnage
-=HeAdShOt=-

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hehe np Smile

And i will just edit the files when u get an update so the linkage will remain the same

Cheers
Car..

Open Source Beer
The }TCP{ Website
}TCP{Wolf
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well if you have to ask, I am neither an Eclipse nor an IBM fan. I am a professional Software Engineer and I have been working with several IBM products the last 2 years and honestly: they stink! But that's just my opinion, and the products we used were web-technologies, not GUI/SWT.

The other reason simply is SWT is not plain Java anymore (like Swing) so you need those DLLs. I really couldn't care less how a GUI looks as long as it is somewhat standard and does the job. All this "design XP style" crap really annoys the heck out of me because it makes things slow and (another worthless opinion of mine) just looks plain silly - I mean you really don't need 32 trillion colors on a DESKTOP sheesh, besideds, I really do prefer java applications to look NOT like native applications because then I can see they are not. If I have to check running processes if the java jre is on or check the java console then that sucks for me. Maybe I am old fashioned, but I like grey, small and sleek design and not this fat bulbous XP look (yes I know you can change the appearance of a GUI without changing the code).

I suppose that except for the technical differences it all comes down to taste, so never mind me, as I said before, just an opinion Smile

And yea I am a Salvatore fan, thankfully there is no customs duty on books imported from the USA.

}TCP{Coco
}TCP{Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Wolf!

I can understand much of what you write, really. In fact, the application isn't really system-independant with the use of SWT, that's right. On the other hand, SWT is some kind of a standardised interface to access the native system resources. The need to provide the libraries is somehow contradictory to the basic idea of Java to be system-independant, that's true. But when you're honest, you must admit that Java itself has to be installed to a specific OS as well to make the indepandant code work.

Anyway, you're right, it's a question of taste. For the purpose of my application, I thought it would be best to provide an interface with controls that the user is familiar with. And really, SWT isn't slow for the things I need it for. Smile

Ok, I didn't want to start a discussion here. I was just interested what your reasons are. Thanks for your answer!

Regards,
Coco.

P.S.: Cool, another Salvatore fan! Smile I read all Drizzt books as well as the 5 ones about Cadderly. But I only read books from Salvatore that have the Forgotten Realms as a background.
}TCP{Coco
}TCP{Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 1:22 pm    Post subject: News message at BeyondUnreal Reply with quote

Hi!

Did you see it already? BeyondUnreal made a news message about my tool. Smile

http://www.beyondunreal.com

All the best,
Coco.
}TCP{Skarijscout
}TCP{Lunatic

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Coco,

SWT yes or now? It's totaly not important for me!
What really matters to me is, does it works?

YES it does! Very Happy You did a great Job!

Why it takes year by year till somebody put such usesful things into Action?

Very nice! Go on!
Yours Skarijscout
Meledictum
}TCP{Lunatic

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This one is going to be useful, finally i can use files in my ~500 MB big Cache folder. Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.tcpclan.net Forum Index -> -= General =- All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: