:: Home :: FAQ :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::
Finding Textures a problem?!?!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.tcpclan.net Forum Index -> -= Map / UnrealEd Questions =-
View previous topic :: View next topic  
}TCP{Snowbird
}TCP{Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 9:33 pm    Post subject: Finding Textures a problem?!?! Reply with quote

I have decided to take on the challenge of finding, copying, redefining, and so on and so fort.... all textures in UT 2004. This has already been done with the static meshes, but not with the textures. (If anyone has found anything... please stop me now...NO?!?! then I will go on). I need help. It is a known fact!?!? That with photo shop we can redefine our own textures, and save them back to UT 2004. This way I can copy them onto a clipboard and paste them in PS and resave them into a a file and then they can be used by the Texture and static mesh browser found elsewhere in our forum.

I NEED HELP!!!! Yeah I know the doctor said I was cured, but after that statement I really do not think so. It is a large challenge but it would be worth it to be able to find just the right texture that you are looking for. I am going to start with Abandon Architecture. If anyone wants to join me they are more than welcome.

Wolf: I need your experience, talent and that knowledge base that you call a brain, to help me in another way. Through your extensive searches through the net, you have come across one thing or another. Has someone started a Texture data base yet? And what about linking photoshop to unread ed. Is it possible to just extract a texture to PS? What a hassle it is to export from UNED and then save and paste and all the other s___ that is needed to do the job. HELP!!!

I only have 1 weeks at home while I am sick, and the work is already piling up. If I am going to do this we should get cracking. Frank
}TCP{Wolf
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 10:45 am    Post subject: Re: Finding Textures a problem?!?! Reply with quote

DAFrank wrote:
Wolf: I need your experience, talent and that knowledge base that you call a brain, to help me in another way. Through your extensive searches through the net, you have come across one thing or another. Has someone started a Texture data base yet? And what about linking photoshop to unread ed. Is it possible to just extract a texture to PS? What a hassle it is to export from UNED and then save and paste and all the other s___ that is needed to do the job. HELP!!!

The only guy I know of who has done something that would remotely be similar is DieHard and his Unreal Retexturing project - mind you that is for Unreal, not ut2k4.

However, if you want to know something about textures and photoshop, DieHard would be the guy to talk to. You can find him on Oldunreal or his clanpage (Celtic Warriors).

Sorry I can't be of any help there myself.

}TCP{Snowbird
}TCP{Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was help enough, Danke.

Frank
}TCP{Snowbird
}TCP{Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 12:14 pm    Post subject: Abandon Arch package for UnEd Keyword Browser Reply with quote

I have completed the Abandon Arch package for the UnrealEd3 Keyword Browser. Download and copy the JPG files, not the folders, to the appropiate files in the Keyword browser. If you have problems, give me a ring.

Frank
}TCP{Snowbird
}TCP{Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 5:08 pm    Post subject: AbandonArch-Epic Reply with quote

They are coming slow, but I am getting there. It is not hard work, but very boring and it hurts the eyes. If anyone would like to help, all you need is Photoshop and the plug-in for the extracted files. (DDS)

HELLLLLLPPPPPPP!!!!!!

Frank
}TCP{Snowbird
}TCP{Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And the AbandonHardware!!!
}TCP{Wolf
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I pointed DieHard here... I thought he wanted to reply... sigh... wish people were less busy Razz
}TCP{Snowbird
}TCP{Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Wolf. I looked for him b-4 and could not track him down. It seems that noone wants the textures. Noone downloaded any yet. I figured Angloid would want some, but he has been real busy lately. I am home another 3 weeks, and then it is off to work for me, and I guess the texture packages will come alittle slower than. Wish me luck and thanks again for thinking of me. Frank
}TCP{Snowbird
}TCP{Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will still keep working on those texture packages, but as I can see that no one needs them yet, I will not post them here until someone asks for them. It really is a nice and easy way to find that certain texture or static mesh that you are looking for, so if you need them, I have f new texture packages here that I can send. Frank
DHrdW
}TCP{ Fan

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all,

Terrible sorry about the late response, i more/less promised Wolf to go make a post the next day. But indeed i am very buzy and even more very ill all the time, due to all that i simply forgot Confused ...............

I downloaded the abandon textures, and concluded it really is for viewing alone, so i asume you want to make it easy to go pick textures for editing.

I am not sure if the way you do it is convenient for users. You may want do do it like i did but better. Here is the link to all the downloads and the Unreal Texture Database:
http://www.celticwarriors.net/website/TextureDatabase/S3TCPackages.htm

Make for each package a page where people can view the textures, but keep the page simple (unlike i did Sad ).

I also did brighten all pictures so they can be seen easelly without brightening your screen to have a look at them. Aside that all, its alotta work, though a problem i had was the extra info needed on those pages. But still its alotta work. Though pretty cool actually.

And the fact theres little downloads, i think is to blame that its offline and you still have to pull up each map with pictures. My idea would be; have it online with the download next to it, so peep can have it both ways.

And i am pretty sure if theres an online Database, that more and more people will go have a look and go download.
}TCP{Snowbird
}TCP{Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for responding and I understand about the being busy and being sick.

I am not quite sure if you know that the packages on this page are just the texture packages for the textuer and static mesh browser found in the download section on TCP's home page. Someone went through a ton of work to make a database to show the packages and what they contain. All static meshes are there and now I wanted to do the textures. It works, but it takes a long time to get the textures converted, I was wondering if there might be a shortcut for photoshop to open all of the DDS files exported out of UT and then shrink them all to 1/4 size (for the texture editor important) and then to save them all as JPEG in one short trip.

The screenies are shots of the browser, one of the staticmesh, and one of the teture.

Any help you can give would be great. Get well soon. Frank
}TCP{Snowbird
}TCP{Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are a few more. Car if this gets to be too much, tell me. Frank
DHrdW
}TCP{ Fan

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well i did use the UT Package Tool (utpt20beta5) to extract all textures from the packages,

You can find it almost on the bottom of this page:
http://www.celticwarriors.net/website/S3TC/S3TCToolsDownloads/S3TCToolsDownloads.htm

You can extract them all at once by selecting them, it wil extrat the textures to the root of the drive the package is located. It has however one hugh downside....................

While unpacking it adds the info from that texture to the name. If i extract FLORROK1 from the Ancient package i will get this: Ancient.utx-Floor.FLORROK1(Texture)_0.BMP

Which means you have to edit all texture names manually Sad Which is......alotta work.........

If you use it, select the files you want to extract, than rightclick, Extract as Image, First Mipmap as BMP.

As far as converting them to jpg files and or resize them, you simply can use the batch option in Photoshop.

Just open a file, go to actions, choose new action, and record what you want to do. Like: remove alpha channel, resize, safe as jpg, close file, stop recording.

When you have a decend recording you can go to File ---> Automate ---> Batch. There you can choose a folder from where to batch and a destination folder (they can be the same folder).

You may wnt to choose: Log Errors To File, if a texture lacks an Alpha channel it may stop because of that, enabeling the log skips that step and proceeds to the next step. I do not check it, so it stops and i CAN see where it goes wrong. Up to you.

Theres more package tools, but all had their downsides, forgot however what they did do wrong, at the end i choose this one as the most effective one. But maybe theres newer unpacking tools for UT2004 nowadays, dunno.

But this should work pretty fast, just except for the nameproblem, that i admit completelly sucks Confused
}TCP{Snowbird
}TCP{Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Allot of the info you just gave me will help greatly. I downloaded the UT Package Tool (utpt20beta5), and will take a peek at it later, although that does sound like allot of work to rename the textures afterwards, I will try it out.

The info on Photoshop is exciteing. I had to start it up and try it out right away. I can not find the "Actions" options though. The "Automate" is there but no "Actions". I will look on the disk later and see if there is more to download. This is the elements version though. I hope that it comes with it.

Thank you again for your time and brain power. Frank
DHrdW
}TCP{ Fan

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actions does have a seperate hanging menu, like the Layers, History, Channels, Info.

Look in the menubar on top, between Menu and Help you can find Windows, that will show all available menus, Actions should be one of them. In my Photoshop its located somewhat below the middle of that list.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.tcpclan.net Forum Index -> -= Map / UnrealEd Questions =- All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: