:: Home :: FAQ :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::
S3TC package updates
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DHrdW
}TCP{ Fan

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 11:29 pm    Post subject: S3TC package updates Reply with quote

As promised a while back(not on this forum though), some updates before Christmas.

I updated all the S3TC files on the website, meaning all single files but also the master files. The master files do contain all S3TC textures that are present at this moment.

So for your own conveniance, just download the 2 masterfiles Smile

Unreal_S3TC_Textures_01_V_01_01_2006.zip

Contains:
Ancient.utx
GenEarth.utx
GenIn.utx
HubEffects.utx
NaliCast.utx
CWLogos.utx
GenFluid.utx
GenTerra.utx
JWSky.utx
NaliFX.utx
DecayedS.utx
GenFX.utx
hijacked.utx
Mine.utx

Unreal_S3TC_Textures_02_V_01_01_2006.zip

Contains:
PlayrShp.utx
S3_XmasWrap.utx
Skaarj.utx
SpaceFX.utx
XmasTex2004.utx
Queen.utx
ShaneDay.utx
SkyBox.utx
Starship.utx
S3_UnrealCD.utx
ShaneSky.utx
SkyCity.utx
TCrystal.utx

Most updates are in the Mine package, but theres also a bunch of updates in other packages, i had planned to add more updates but the xmasmap did take longer than expected. But still theres some cool updates inthere Smile

For package specific remarks, post in the old unreal High-Res Textures for Unreal forum.

Other remarks, you can post here Smile
Hyper
ber Spammer

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems to be quite a big update, at least in filesize.

It's installed but I still have to see the updated textures. A quick look at NyLeve did not yet reveal anything. (I hoped to see this in NyLeve.)

Which lvl's I should try?

By the way: News added to my news page.

http://www.hypercoop.tk
unreal://hypercoop.tk
DHrdW
}TCP{ Fan

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
It seems to be quite a big update, at least in filesize.

Honest to god, i have no clue lol Confused

I can only mention a few updates:

In Mine.utx the Masked cables are done and some panels, besides a number of walls, ill see if i can also update all the doors in that package (they do not line up now with the new walls Rolling Eyes ) Some wooden crates have been done. Still a no go for the Deck16 crates though Sad

All the Masked textures in DecayedS are Super Duper now (like the Deck16 elevator) The same goes for Deck16 serie of walls, no clue what map they show up though, but i still need to add specific details to those.

Aside of above, theres much more textures updated, but again, i have no idea in which maps they show up, which btw is also difficult for me since i cannot go check them now.

Oh, one other specific one Very Happy

The keyboard as seen in the first level and in Sinfonia, that one is done too (though again i will change it a bit on later shedule) But i had to make a decent keyboard for the SGC map, and i recolored that one and made it bigger.

That keyboard in photoshop...............

104 layers for each key
104 layers for each character
?? layers for the buttons that have more than one character.
Keyboard itself
A bunch of other layers for all kinda other things.
Aplying all the effects for each layer.
Lets say 250 layers.

The Unreal keyboard has 2.75 of those, lol

So thats some friggen 700 layers or so.

And of course Rolling Eyes mappers (at least in the past) could not see if the keyboard is inverted. Which means some maps (like Sinfonia) have one or more mirrored keyboards.

Dun wanna hear any complain about that lol,.....not my fault Smile

Quote:
It's installed but I still have to see the updated textures. A quick look at NyLeve did not yet reveal anything. (I hoped to see this in NyLeve.)

I am working on a temporarelly update on this package(do read temporarelly) , hopefully i will have this done tomorrow, and it will cover some 80% of the package.

Quote:
Which lvl's I should try?

That is a problem as i already told above, the more the textures progresses, the less i know where the hell they went lol. For what i know of, Deck16, Agoniser (has a cool floor now Very Happy ), VortexRikers/Sinfonia (keyboard), and for you hopefully MyLeve before this weekend.

Actually theres a cool thing to say about it, i still go into maps and all of a sudden i see some cool textures that i have never seen before. And these either are UT S3TC textures from the CD, or they are made by me, and mostly they indeed do look cool lol, often even better that i thought to my surprise.

I am not saying this tapping myself on the chest, i DO like to see S3TC textures too, and now and than i too get surpriced by what i see. Theres a big difference in working with that horrible stuff in the Photoshop or seeing them in (Un)real life.

So surprise me when you find a cool one in a map Wink
Hyper
ber Spammer

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I already saw a few nice ones in ISVDeck1 like the metal floor and the message panels. In SpireVillage I did not notice new stuff yet.

Edit: Vortex2 is looking better with every release. [highres screenshot]

}TCP{Carnage
-=HeAdShOt=-

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice job Smile

Will put this post on top so it's easy to spot Cool

Unreal 1 - 32 slot 227h- }TCP{ Funhouse #6 [MonsterMash !!]-:: Go There ::-
Unreal 1 - 8 slot 227f - }TCP{ Funhouse #7 [TeamArenaMaster !!] -:: Go There ::-
UT2004 - 12 slot }TCP{ Funhouse #1 [TAM / Freezetag] !! -:: Go There ::-
UT2004 - 32 slot }TCP{ Funhouse #2 [Freon Madness] !! -:: Go There ::-
UT2004 - 2/4 slot }TCP{ Funhouse #3 [1vs1 or 2 vs 2] !! -:: Go There ::-
UT2004 - 12 slot }TCP{ Funhouse #4 [ONS/TAM/AM/Moso 12p] !! -:: Go There ::-
UT2004 - 8 slot }TCP{FunHouse #5 [TAM/1on1-DM] !! -:: Go There ::-

Open Source Beer
The }TCP{ Website
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
DHrdW
}TCP{ Fan

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

3 in the morning..........

I have been working all morning, evening and half my night on this (when you read this, it means that was yesterday) Gotta get up in 5 hours, sigh.

But here it is Shocked

A pre-release for the GenEarth.utx package.

http://www.celticwarriors.net/Downloads/S3TCPackages/S3TCPackagesSingles/GenEarth.zip

It does contain some 24 (i think) new textures.

I have done all the grass textures.
I have done 7 ? rock textures.
And a bunch of other textures inthere.

Again ! its a temporary package, and i hope Turboman will make some better rockfaces, because he is right, the rocks apear to me as simple bumpmapped textures. I now re-used the ones already in the package.

I will do the other rockfaces too, maybe tomorrow.........

But for now, have a look ar NyLeve, and tell me what you think of it.

I also would highly apreciated it, if you would tell (if you know) what maps make use of the grasstextures, specifially the ones with dirt path in it.

The grass is basically the same story, i myself cannot create grass, so i re-used the one in the package. It should look cool, except the grass itself, but i need a map to have a look at it.

If i ever find a real grass photo that is usable, i could update all the grass in a blink, i have workable originals now.

By grass i mean the path1 to pathend 4 on the lower part of this page:

http://www.celticwarriors.net/website/S3TC/S3TCTextures/GenEarth/GenEarth_Ground.htm

I hope you like the inbetween result for the moment. Ah well, give an honest opinium, that works best, if its crap its crap lol. And if its cool, i still wanna see the results from Turboman. Could be alot better than mine.........
DHrdW
}TCP{ Fan

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks carnage Smile
Hyper
ber Spammer

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the GenEarth update, but I have to say it disappoints me a little. The bumpmapped textures hardly look any better than the normal lowres textures with detail textures turned on in OpenGL.

Another thing: The bluish ground texture in SpireVillage is now greenish like in NyLeve.

But anyways, I'll probably keep this temporary version for now, but I still hope Turboman's rock textures will appear sooner or later.

DHrdW
}TCP{ Fan

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2005 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I left him a post on the SP forums where i also made a release post.

I did look into the whole subject today.

First there are also rocktextures like that in two different other packages, so if we wanna cover all those rockfaces, those two needs to be done too.

Those are:
GenTerra and NaliCast

I did also try if i could add a high res grass photo i took last year, and i actually pulled it of, that one did work, but..............

And this aplies to both the grass and the rockfaces.

Both are scaled up hugh in the editor. I did add the grass texture in a resolution of 2048 x 2048 and that still did not look cool in NyLeve.

The reason i think is, if you look at any cool looking texture ingame, and you zoom in too far, even the best texture will look like crap. Its simple, if a texture is scaled up real far than you already zoom to the detail in it, so even smaller detail should be added on top of that to make it cool again.

As i tried with a texture that is 4 times bigger than the usual one, it still looks horrible. However when i use the fly command so i can hover above it, it looks ok.

I did found a map (Ruins.unr) that did have the pathend textures (and take a look yourself in the arena inthere), and there is the same problem, the rock that is supposed to be the dirt is an awsome texture, there absolutelly nothing wrong with it, and that part in the texture should look awsome, but it doesnt, its horrible Sad and again, your already zoomed in on it to the max, just by walking on it Sad

Dont get me wrong, i can try a lighter colored rock to see if that helps

But seeing that, i have doubts its solvable at all..................In general i mean.

Turbomans textures do have much more detaill than the ones from Epic, but it could even be the case that his textures even don't look better.

In effect its a scaling problem i think...............

Quote:
Another thing: The bluish ground texture in SpireVillage is now greenish like in NyLeve.

When i work in Photoshop, i try to match the colors as close as possible, sometimes it goes better than other moments. However, this texture is as green as its suposed to be seeing the original (it may have i little different kinda green !) But looking at it, its the correct color and colordepth. If it looks ingame different, than theres little to be done, exept making a few hundred models...... And try those ingame.............

Look at Grass and mGrass7 and compare both originals and new ones

http://www.celticwarriors.net/website/S3TC/S3TCTextures/GenEarth/GenEarth_Ground.htm

Grass is the one in NyLeve
mGrass7 is the one in SpireVillage

As you can see mGrass is alot more greener than Grass, and as said both originals and S3TC match pretty close, exept its a bit diffferent kinda green for mGrass7

But lets hope Turboman is able to come up with a cool set that really is an improovement.
Hyper
ber Spammer

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2005 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DHrdW wrote:
I left him a post on the SP forums where i also made a release post.

I did look into the whole subject today.

First there are also rocktextures like that in two different other packages, so if we wanna cover all those rockfaces, those two needs to be done too.

Those are:
GenTerra and NaliCast

I did also try if i could add a high res grass photo i took last year, and i actually pulled it of, that one did work, but..............

And this aplies to both the grass and the rockfaces.

Both are scaled up hugh in the editor. I did add the grass texture in a resolution of 2048 x 2048 and that still did not look cool in NyLeve.

The reason i think is, if you look at any cool looking texture ingame, and you zoom in too far, even the best texture will look like crap. Its simple, if a texture is scaled up real far than you already zoom to the detail in it, so even smaller detail should be added on top of that to make it cool again.

As i tried with a texture that is 4 times bigger than the usual one, it still looks horrible. However when i use the fly command so i can hover above it, it looks ok.

I understand. But still, and especially with a stretched texture, 2048x2048 will look much better than 515x512.

Quote:

I did found a map (Ruins.unr) that did have the pathend textures (and take a look yourself in the arena inthere), and there is the same problem, the rock that is supposed to be the dirt is an awsome texture, there absolutelly nothing wrong with it, and that part in the texture should look awsome, but it doesnt, its horrible Sad and again, your already zoomed in on it to the max, just by walking on it Sad

Dont get me wrong, i can try a lighter colored rock to see if that helps

But seeing that, i have doubts its solvable at all..................In general i mean.

Turbomans textures do have much more detaill than the ones from Epic, but it could even be the case that his textures even don't look better.

In effect its a scaling problem i think...............

Maybe, but Turboman's example rock texture looks so phreaking awesome, I can not believe anything else than that it will rock in NyLeve. (And whrn the variants are ready for SpireVillage/TheSunSpire etc)

But this is just something I would very much like to see for my self.

Quote:

Quote:

When i work in Photoshop, i try to match the colors as close as possible, sometimes it goes better than other moments. However, this texture is as green as its suposed to be seeing the original (it may have i little different kinda green !) But looking at it, its the correct color and colordepth. If it looks ingame different, than theres little to be done, exept making a few hundred models...... And try those ingame.............

Look at Grass and mGrass7 and compare both originals and new ones

Grass is the one in NyLeve
mGrass7 is the one in SpireVillage

As you can see mGrass is alot more greener than Grass, and as said both originals and S3TC match pretty close, exept its a bit diffferent kinda green for mGrass7

I made two screens in SpireVillage:
SpireVillage normal
SpireVillage S3TC

You might notice the difference in colour of the ground. Also, as you see the rock texture has no big improvements.

For me the colour difference is not a big issue, but I hope to see improvements in the rock textures because they are widely used on many (coop) maps.

(This texture with all variants I mean)

Quote:

But lets hope Turboman is able to come up with a cool set that really is an improovement.

Hyper
ber Spammer

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2005 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, the new grass path textures are very nice in Ruins! Great job!

SpikeMan
}TCP{ Fan

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't been able to test these myself yet, sounds cool though.
Quote:

I made two screens in SpireVillage:
SpireVillage normal
SpireVillage S3TC

I checked these two pictures. It does look really cool, but I feel it's too easy to see that they're being repeated, they look great otherwise. I guess with bigger res on the textures this effect would disappear, but not all maps need huge res images I guess.
DHrdW
}TCP{ Fan

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Wow, the new grass path textures are very nice in Ruins! Great job!

Lol, as you can read above, i am far from satisfied about those either. I guess thats in the eye of the beholder Smile

Quote:
I checked these two pictures. It does look really cool, but I feel it's too easy to see that they're being repeated, they look great otherwise

I did not really pay too much attention to the tiling, i just made them tilable, which means all the sides do connect exact to the oposite side. The other part in a textures is, that the coloration in a texture should never have too high contrast between spots within the texture.

Its that last you can see, but it needs to be said, on large surfaces like the grass, it will always apear, but the visibilitty depends highly on the used lighting in a map. Which is the case you can see in that specific screenshot.

The original texture has a diamond shape repeat, while mine has a band like repeat.

Quote:
. I guess with bigger res on the textures this effect would disappear, but not all maps need huge res images I guess.

No, the effect is complettely unrelated to the texture size, its simply there or not. Also, an S3TC texture apears in the same size ingame as a normal texture. Its only because it contains much more pixels and therefore, much more data, why one sees more smaller details. But the size it apears ingame is exactly the same as the normal one.

And now i am reading back lol, what i wrote above about the tiling, aplies to the new texture i am creating for the grass, the grass texture you see there in the screenshots is the redone version that already was S3TC, so the tiling was never changed Smile Which prooves that it depends on the lighting, because both textures in the screenshots are exactly the same but a different color and lighting upon it Wink
SpikeMan
}TCP{ Fan

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fair enough. Guess I'll go ahead and test them.. Just gotta install Unreal again Very Happy
SpikeMan
}TCP{ Fan

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hyper wrote:
Edit: Vortex2 is looking better with every release. [highres screenshot]

That radar on the picture. If you start, cant remember the name now, the first lvl in Unreal, in the ship and all. If you check the radar there before you jump down by the elevator, the radar spins around, cool effect by the way, and there comes a sound, but it only comes once and the picture blinks twice. Wouldn't it look better with it only blinkin once?
Just letting you know.

Finally tested them, so far it looks so awesome. Even my dad would see the difference Wink Razz Cant wait untill you've completely finished the packages. I will go through Unreal from the top again and see all the cool changes Very Happy

Nice work dude!

(Ain't meaning to complain, just letting you know Razz )
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.tcpclan.net Forum Index -> -= General =- All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: