:: Home :: FAQ :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::
server redirection

View previous topic :: View next topic  
laboRHEinz
}TCP{ Fan

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 8:38 pm    Post subject: server redirection Reply with quote

Hi,

got a prob with my own little UT2k4 server. Maybe you server admins can help:
I'm using server redirection for map downloads. Intention is to let players download maps from public servers and as a fallback from my webserver. I referred to this description:
http://wiki.unrealadmin.org/Redirection_and_Compression
and made following changes in the ut2004.ini:

[IpDrv.TcpNetDriver]
AllowDownloads=True
MaxDownloadSize=0
DownloadManagers=IpDrv.HTTPDownload
DownloadManagers=Engine.ChannelDownload

[IpDrv.HTTPDownload]
RedirectToURL=http://uz2.gameservers.net/ut2004/
RedirectToURL=http://**My Webserver**/
ProxyServerHost=
ProxyServerPort=3128
UseCompression=True

The problem is that downloads are still done only from my webserver or even worse from the UT server application itself. That takes several minutes because the server has an upload of about 500kBit/s. And this connection is used for gaming as well...
I've uploaded the required files to the ftp server of uz2.gameservers.net; the files are online, I checked it. The downloads of my web server are accessible as well.

My questions are:
Why is the public uz2 server not been used?
Is the UT server able to redirect to several servers?
Is it possible to set the priority of these servers?
Do you know other public UT download servers than the uz2.gameservers.net?
How to set the ut2004.ini?

Any help would be great!

Greets, heinz
}TCP{Coco
}TCP{Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi!

I have never seen or heard of that it's possible to have two RedirectToURL= lines in the UT2004.ini. I would just leave the uz2.gameservers.net line in there.

As far as I know, uz2.gameservers.net is the only public redirect server. There are some more, but these are usually from gameserver providers who offer them for their customers, so they're not really public.

When files are being sent slowly, this always means that the gameserver itself is sending the file. This only happens in 3 cases:

1. The file is not present on the redirect server.
2. The filename of the file on the redirect server is not 100% identical with the one on the gameserver (also respect upper-/lowercase!).
3. The files differ in size and/or content.

To check this, you can do the following:

- Open the redirection URL in your webbrowser. You will get a listing of the files located there.
- Do a search on this page for the filename in question. If you can't find it, case 1 applies.
- If you find it, check the spelling. If there are any differences, case 2 applies.
- Finally, if the names are identical, download the file from the redirect server (by simply clicking it) and compare the exact byte lengths (right click the file in Windows Explorer and select Properties). If they are identical for both files, you'll have to use a files compare tool to check if the file contents are identical. If they're not, case 3 applies.

Note that you can't remove files from the public redirect server. In case you have different versions of the same file on your gameserver and the redirect server, you'll either have to replace the file on your gameserver with the one from the redirect server or have to live with the slow download speed of that particular file.

In case it's a map file (and not a file required by another file like e.g. a texture file), you can simply rename the file on your gameserver to a name not used on the redirect server and then upload that file to the redirect server with the new name. When searching the list of files on the redirect server, you'll notice that this has been done pretty often already (just look for the different case spellings of the DWeather.u file, for example).

Concerning your questions.

laboRHEinz wrote:
Why is the public uz2 server not been used?

See above.

laboRHEinz wrote:
Is the UT server able to redirect to several servers?

As far as I know: no!

laboRHEinz wrote:
Is it possible to set the priority of these servers?

As of my last answer, this question has become redundant. Wink

laboRHEinz wrote:
Do you know other public UT download servers than the uz2.gameservers.net?

See above.

laboRHEinz wrote:
How to set the ut2004.ini?

Do you mean "how to edit" or how to tell the gameserver which ini file to use? For the latter, you have to specify it in the startup line like this:
Code:
ucc-bin server ONS-Torlan?game=Onslaught.ONSOnslaughtGame?mutator=ONSPlus_101beta31.ONSPlusMutator ini=server.ini log=server.log port=7777 -nohomedir

This is just an example, but here you see how to use a file called server.ini instead of the UT2004.ini file.

Coco.
laboRHEinz
}TCP{ Fan

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a lot Coco, that's what I call a detailed reply!

Too bad, that there seems to be no possibility of redirect to several servers. Actually I don't want to rely on a single redirect server, because you never know, whether it's online and accessible. The uz2 server is a good one with nice download bandwidth but it has a client number access limitation as far as I know - this would be the 4th case why the game server itself has to send the file.

Now my guess is, that my server didn't redirect because of the double RedirectToURL entry. I'll delete it then.

The file comparison is a good idea; I checked that the files are online but not the exact size and spelling; that will be quite a job for me then Sad

With "How to set the ut2004.ini" I meant how to tell the application to redirect to several servers. That question has become obsolete then...
But btw: what's the effect of "-nohomedir"? And how to start several mutators, just repeat the "mutator=..." option like "mutator=mut1 mutator=mut2 mutator=mut3 ..." or something like "mutator=mut1 mut2 mut3 ..." or "mutator=mut1 | mut2 | mut3 ..."?

Thanx again for the reply,

heinz
}TCP{Coco
}TCP{Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi!

laboRHEinz wrote:
Thanks a lot Coco, that's what I call a detailed reply!

I know from experience that a brief reply often leaves more open questions than before. Wink

laboRHEinz wrote:
Too bad, that there seems to be no possibility of redirect to several servers. Actually I don't want to rely on a single redirect server, because you never know, whether it's online and accessible. The uz2 server is a good one with nice download bandwidth but it has a client number access limitation as far as I know - this would be the 4th case why the game server itself has to send the file.

I used this one too, before Carnage kindly allowed me to use his redirect server as well. Smile From my experience, there weren't any problems with bandwidth and/or number of accessing clients.

laboRHEinz wrote:
Now my guess is, that my server didn't redirect because of the double RedirectToURL entry. I'll delete it then.

To honest, I don't believe that, because you wrote that some maps are redirected and others aren't. The server more likely just uses one redirection resource, but in general it's working. I guess that the files at the secondary location were sent slowly by the server itself, because they weren't found at the primary location.

laboRHEinz wrote:
The file comparison is a good idea; I checked that the files are online but not the exact size and spelling; that will be quite a job for me then Sad

Yeah, I know this. I had to go through this, too. This is the disadvantage when using a public redirect server. Sad

laboRHEinz wrote:
With "How to set the ut2004.ini" I meant how to tell the application to redirect to several servers. That question has become obsolete then...

Ah, ok, indeed.

laboRHEinz wrote:
But btw: what's the effect of "-nohomedir"? And how to start several mutators, just repeat the "mutator=..." option like "mutator=mut1 mutator=mut2 mutator=mut3 ..." or something like "mutator=mut1 mut2 mut3 ..." or "mutator=mut1 | mut2 | mut3 ..."?

The -nohomedir option is only relevant for Linux servers and tells them to store all files into the main UT2004 directory. When this option is not specified, some files and settings will be stored in the home directory of the user running the ucc executable to start the server.

Mutators are given as a list, separated by commas. E.g. you would write: mutator=mut1,mut2,mut3 and so on.

Coco.
laboRHEinz
}TCP{ Fan

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Coco,

ok, the redirection is working now. Of course, I didn't manage to check all of the files yet; this will take a while...
Quote:
The -nohomedir option is only relevant for Linux servers and tells them to store all files into the main UT2004 directory.

Aha, it's not relevant for my server because OS is Windows.
Quote:
Mutators are given as a list, separated by commas. E.g. you would write: mutator=mut1,mut2,mut3 and so on.

Fine, this info spared me lots of googling Very Happy

Thanks again!

heinz
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.tcpclan.net Forum Index -> -= Help =- All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: