:: Home :: FAQ :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::
Stay logged in (Forum)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.tcpclan.net Forum Index -> -= The Site =-
View previous topic :: View next topic  
}TCP{Coco
}TCP{Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 1:14 pm    Post subject: Stay logged in (Forum) Reply with quote

Hi!

I'm having problems lately with the "Stay logged in" function of this forum. It usually works, which means when finished reading the forum, I simply don't log out but just quit the browser or surf to another webpage. When returning the next time, I'm usually still logged in and can read the new entries from inbetween.

Now my problem is that it doesn't always work. Almost every second day in the last weeks, I'm no longer logged in when returning to the forum. This isn't really a problem, but when logging in again, it often (not always) happens that all entries are marked as read. This means, I can't see which new posts there are since my last visit. And this is really annoying, because I must check the dates of the last entries in each subforum to find the new ones.

I know that the "Stay logged in" feature uses Cookies to store the necessary information (like username and date of the last visit) and I allowed them for this page, of course (that's why it usually works). I also know that there are two settings for this in the phpBB software and I wonder how they're configured. Unfortunately, I can't name them correctly, because I only know their German name, but one of them sets the amount of days until timeout for the automatic login feature and the other one sets the Cookie session time in seconds. Regarding to Carhith's information (she's also admin in a phpBB forum), the first should be set to 0 (which disables the timeout) and a good value for the latter is 3600 seconds (which is 1 hour, apparently).

Well, that's all I can think of. Does anyone have further ideas? And how about the others? Am I the only one who experiences this problem?

Ah, and in case you're wondering: My browser (Opera) is configured like follows: Cookies, Javascript and Java are disabled by default. I made an exception rule for this forum to allow Cookies from this page (no third-party Cookies though) as well as Javascript. New Cookies are not deleted when exiting the browser.

Coco.
Charly
}TCP{ Fan

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
some thing happen to me from time to time. My browser is firefox, so it is not a Opera-problem.
}TCP{Snowbird
}TCP{Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everytime I close my explorer, I always lose my "lights" telling me there is a new message. Yes, that does bother me. I never knew there was a "stay logged in" entry. I never really thought about it, but now that you say it, it would come in handy. I never block my cookies, so I do not believe that that is the problem with mine.

Your problem could be that the server has to reset every now-and-then. I am not sure how long you stay in. Mr. Carnage could tel ya. Smile

Fresh Prince: Will Smith
}TCP{Wolf
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Happens to me too but I know why, because my IP changes with every click so with every requests its a new login (cookie) and all light bulbs are out. The forum should stop marking forums as read just by looking at the index, but do it like Yabb and mark only THREADS as read you actually DID click on.
}TCP{Snowbird
}TCP{Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmmm, sounds like a nice setup. Maybe we could use someting like that?

Fresh Prince: Will Smith
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.tcpclan.net Forum Index -> -= The Site =- All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: